Tuesday 27 March 2012

An Innocent Assault by a Masked Avenger


I was attacked on my walk to work this week. I was aware of my assailant who was masked and proudly strutting as part of a pair of obviously disturbed youths. I tried to avoid eye contact but this did not help. I changed my direction to avoid their personal space but to no avail – the first attack was direct and purposeful aiming for my head, my innocent but provocative actions had obviously pushed them over the edge.

I should have known better really as there are many similar gangs in Cooktown who defend their space without hesitation, it’s just a natural reaction to being born a masked lapwing (also known as the spur-winged plover). The Guugu Yimithirr people call the spur-wing plover Milgaandurr and it is known as the alarm bird. It is a friendly messenger, bringing tidings of births and deaths within families.


To be fair I reckon he or she was bluffing and it was just a warning attack as the swoop over my head only required an instinctive duck not the embarrassment of a prostration on the ground. As a ground nesting bird they are only protecting their nests and they usually produce two chicks which is when they are at their most aggressive. They can also use cunning diversionary tactics to protect their chicks including defending ‘fake’ nests and somewhat amusing distraction tactics like hopping around on one leg to divert attention away from their nest.
It is easy for the unsuspecting passerby to inadvertently impose on a nest, so if you are walking along or mowing the grass and see an agitated plover try to give them a bit of respect.


And if you do come under attack just hope that no one else is watching you make a spectacle of yourself.

Find out more about the Guugu Yimithirr culture HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment